Tall grasses sway within the breeze. A coyote rests beneath a thick layer of underbrush. As well as in the length, a red-colored tailed hawk rides a thermal wave, its sharp eyes careful for small prey.
Such was the scene greeting early settlers to Grand Prairie. One as fast seen by present day citizens.
Early settlers were tempted towards the Grand Prairie area by Peters Colony, a number of Republic of Texas land grants or loans provided by traders in 1841. In Feb 1846, the Goodwins, Micajah, wife Elizabeth as well as their nine children, showed up. Elizabeth's existence in Texas was shortlived. She'd just switched 44 when she died on March. 24, 1846, becoming the very first known whitened lady to become hidden in Tarrant County. She was laid to relaxation with what is today Watson Graveyard near Interstate 30 and Condition Highway 360.
Comparable time, David Jordan and the sons showed up from Tennessee getting together the area's first slaves, included in this Mose Jordan, whose descendents still reside in Grand Prairie. David Jordan settled just south from the Trinity River near current day MacArthur Boulevard and Northeast 31st Street, creating a stage coach stop, merchandise store and also the area's first school. The Jordan home, now known as the Jordan Bowles Home, still stands in Bowles Park.